Dallas Image Coach, Julie Bartlett of Colour IQ, gives the guys a few smart tips.
Every day, well, most days, we provide a Head to Toe Tips on our social media sites and some of them are just for YOU! Women love being around a well-dressed man who knows how to put a shirt and sweater together, how long his pants should be, and who will (even periodically) wear a tie. Why? Your making an effort for yourself is a sign that you will also make an effort for her. Plus, when you dress to make yourself look special she not only wants to proudly introduce you to everyone she knows, she will want to sit by you, and she will make an effort to help you feel special, respected, loved.
Here are a few tips to help you show up as the smart, fabulous man in the room:
How to coordinate a tie and shirt:
- Pair a larger pattern with a smaller one in the same colour palette.
- Pair a small stripe shirt with a plaid tie that picks up the primary (dominate) colour of the shirt.
- Avoid matching a shirt with a tie in colour and/or print.
The details of a tie:
- A man’s tie anchors his suit and make a powerful statement about him and his personality.
- The width of the tie should match the width of the lapel.
- The tie length should stop at the top of the belt with the tail of the tie secured by the loop sewn onto the back of the larger piece of the tie.
- Success Strategies focus on your creating a reputation for excellence – no matter what your industry. Excellence isn’t focused on perfection but is rooted in Intention. Create a Clear Intention and you’ll more easily deliver excellence.
- Interviewing can be stressful. Dressing well reduces your stress and helps you feel more confident so you can focus on what you came to accomplish and your interviewer can focus on you.
- There is no such thing as a short sleeve dress shirt – even with a jacket.
- Dressing smart will help your interviewer think you’re the kind of smart they need.
- Creating a video resume will pleasantly surprise a potential employer and take you to the top of the resume pile. Make sure you wear mid-tone solid colours and makeup for the video, look at the camera, and keep it to 30-60 seconds. Why makeup? Shiny foreheads, noses, and chins are not a good first impression. A good makeup artist will only give you enough colour to overcome how the lights drain the natural colour from your face. Remember the JFK vs. Nixon debate? JFK won because he looked less nervous and he looked healthier than Nixon.
- Button-Down Collars are a casual shirt style not to be worn with a tie nor ideal with a suit but may be worn with or without a sport coat. While you may have done this in college, it’s not the way a man wears a shirt and suit. Applying a more sophisticated way of wearing your clothes is a sign that you are more sophisticated than when you were in college.
- Business Casual is achieved when you combine authority, power, and comfort. The focus is still on showing up ready for business – not on being casual.
Dressing well isn’t about perfection or looking 20 years younger. It is about dressing appropriately for your age, size, shape, and level of influence in your community. We want you to be a positive influence in your community by showing the boys how to dress like a man! We want to encourage you to be the man you want to be and celebrate your journey. You are an irreplaceable gift, dress like it.
As your D/FW Personal Shopper, it is my mission to help my clients always look fabulous without being a slave to the whimsical ways of fashion trends. I am passionately committed to making sure my clients always look their very best in order to help them achieve their personal and business goals.
- If you have any questions or are interested in a personal consultation, please give me a call at 214-223-2200.