Dallas Fashion Consultant, Julie Bartlett of Colour IQ, helps you bag the right bag. Can you choose the right bag for yourself or someone else?
Ahhh! The perfect bag. It holds everything you need, has extra space, you can easily find your stuff, it’s cute, and your girlfriends want one! Is there really such a thing? YES! Jessica Alba picks it perfect with this Prada 2011 Spring handbag.
- The Baguette: A long and rounded shoulder bag. Think of it as a loaf of bread.
- Cigar Box: Just like it sounds, a small rectangular bag.
- Clutch: A small hand-held bag.
- Duffel: A tall shoulder bag, usually with a large opening. Great for travel or the gym.
- Field Bag: A flat-top shoulder bag with utility closures.
- Hobo Bag: A crescent-shaped shoulder bag.
- Kelly Bag: A medium size bag that is wider at it’s base with a half-circle handle. Designed by the up-scale Hermes Company of France and made famous by Princess Grace Kelly.
- Messenger Bag: A large, soft shoulder bag with straps usually worn across the body.
- Pouch: A small, soft bag.
- Satchel: A large hand-held bag.
- Tote: An open bag with straps or handles.
The Pelvic Rule:
If the bag fits in your pelvic area, it’s a perfect size. This also helps you determine how big or small the bag can be to still be proportionate to you.
The Shape to Choose:
- For the Petite Woman: Never choose a large bag as it will make you look even smaller and long straps will make you look shorter. Do choose a bag such as a Clutch, Pouch, Cigar Box or Kelly Bag.
- For the Plus-Size Woman: Don’t choose a small bag or one with small printed patterns. Do choose a larger bag but one that does not overwhelm your height (remember the Pelvic Rule). Do choose larger bags like a Messenger, Hobo, Tote, Satchel, Baguette or larger size Kelly Bag.
- Tall and Thin Women: Avoid bags with short shoulder-straps. Do select bags that are longer than they are tall. Good choices would be the Hobo, Clutch, Cigar Box, and Kelly Bags.
Next time we’ll have fun with choosing the best color, material and texture of bag for you.
As your Dallas Fashion Consultant, it is my mission to help my clients always look fabulous without being a slave to the whimsical ways of fashion trends. I am passionately committed to making sure my clients always look their very best in order to help them achieve their personal and business goals. If you have any questions or are interested in a personal consultation, please give me a call at 214-223-2200.